Breast Augmentation (Augmentation Mammoplasty)
Breast augmentation is a surgical procedure that enlarges and changes the shape your breasts to make it aesthetically appealing. It is a common procedure involving placing of breast implants under breast tissue or chest muscles. However in selective cases the breast can be augmented using ones own fat (fat grafting).
Do you need a breast AUGMENTATION surgery?
Breast augmentation is often opted for a number of physical, psychological or emotional reasons by girls and women alike. It achieves very positive results making patients happy and more self-confident.
- There are numerous techniques for breast augmentation. Your surgeon will choose the most appropriate procedure based on your anatomy and desired outcome. Depending on the placement of the incision and the position of the implant, the procedure could take a couple of hours.
- Your surgeon will discuss the methodology, the quality of implants being used and the expected increase in size with you in detail before the procedure. It is usually done under general anesthesia.
If you are considering getting a breast augmentation surgery done, we would recommend that you visit us for a personal consultation with your surgeon. This would give you an opportunity to discuss your aims and outcomes that you hope to achieve. The surgeon will explain the best options available, his/her recommendations and help you understand better the long-term benefits of this procedure.
Every patient’s need and expectation is different. Your surgeon will tell which surgical technique would be most appropriate for your needs and explain the treatment plan in detail. During this initial consultation you are expected to:
- Provide a detailed medical history including any previous surgical procedures; past and present medical conditions and a list of all medications or herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
- Have a complete examination of your face, including the skin and underlying bone.
- Discuss possible risks and complications of the procedure(s).
- Get an X-ray done possibly to determine the right procedure.
Following your initial consultation and decisions about the procedure(s) to be carried out, our surgical team will update you on pre-operative information, which tells you everything you should do and know before the procedure. Ideally, you may want to make arrangements for someone to help you for a day or two while you heal.
We will ensure that you remain comfortable throughout the entire procedure. Usually we use general anesthesia enabling you to sleep throughout the procedure.
Following your surgeon’s instructions to the letter during the recovery process is very important. This will not only promote the healing process but will also help you adapt to your new physical appearance. Do attend all follow-up appointments so that your surgeon can assess your long-term results and answer any concerns or queries.