Facial implants are used to enhance certain features of the face. These are often sculpted pieces of synthetic materials deep under the subcutaneous tissue and onto the underlying bone.
Silicone or other substances are placed in the chin, cheeks or jaw to enhance the contours of the face. These implants are used to aesthetically improve facial contours, proportion and correct imbalances caused by injury or hereditary traits.
Do you need facial implant surgery?
A face that appears “sunken” or tired for example, can be corrected to appear healthy and cheerful with facial implants. It can help restore youthfulness and vitality your face. Facial implants are becoming more and more common, thanks to cutting-edge medical technology.
Facial implants are frequently used by plastic surgeons to balance the features of a patient’s face. It is also often done in conjunction with other cosmetic procedures when needed.
Given below are some of the more popular facial implant procedures:
- Chin implant – These can be used to increase anterior, lateral and downward projection of the chin. The implant is placed internally through the lower lip, or externally under the chin. An incision inside the mouth or under the chin is made, creating a pocket into which the implant is inserted. If another cosmetic procedure, such as a face lift or eyelid surgery is being performed at the same time, your surgeon may insert the implants through those incisions.
- Cheek implants – The implants are placed either through incisions inside the upper lip or through the lower eyelid.
- Jaw angle implants – These can be placed individually, in pairs, or as a large wraparound implant that includes the chin. They are used to increase lateral and/or downward projection of the ramus. They are placed through incisions inside the lower lip. The incision site will be secured with sutures that will dissolve in about one week.
- Paranasal implant – This involves placing a specially designed implant between the nose and upper lip to increase anterior projection of the upper jaw. It is inserted through a small incision inside the mouth.
Enhancing the Procedure
If you are considering getting a facial implant we would recommend that you visit us for a personal consultation with your surgeon. This would give you an opportunity to discuss your aims and outcomes that you hope to achieve. The surgeon will explain the best options available, his/her recommendations and help you understand better the long-term benefits of this procedure.
Every patient’s need and expectation is different. Your surgeon will tell which surgical technique would be most appropriate for your needs and explain the treatment plan in detail. During this initial consultation you are expected to:
- Provide a detailed medical history including any previous surgical procedures; past and present medical conditions and a list of all medications or herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
- Have a complete examination of your face, including the skin and underlying bone.
- Discuss possible risks and complications of the procedure(s).
- Get an X-ray done possibly to determine the right procedure.
Following your initial consultation and decisions about the procedure(s) to be carried out, our surgical team will update you on pre-operative information, which tells you everything you should do and know before the procedure. Ideally, you may want to make arrangements for someone to help you for a day or two while you heal.
We will ensure that you remain comfortable throughout the entire procedure. Usually we use general anesthesia enabling you to sleep throughout the procedure. Of course, local anesthesia with intravenous sedation is also an option in some cases.
Following your surgeon’s instructions to the letter during the recovery process is very important. This will not only promote the healing process but will also help you adapt to your new physical appearance. Do attend all follow-up appointments so that your surgeon can assess your long-term results and answer any concerns or queries.
Schedule a consultation today by calling +91 994 621 9857