Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)
Abdominoplasty or a tummy tuck as it is better known, is a cosmetic procedure to remove excess fat and skin which could have accumulated around the tummy due to age, obesity or post-pregnancy.
The procedure nips and tucks the tummy and sculpts it to give it a smooth and youthful appearance – an hourglass figure for women and even a six-pack for men.
Do you need a tummy tuck surgery ?
Abdominoplasty tightens the abdominal muscles, which could have become loose and stretched out over time. It dramatically reduces a prominent abdomen but it is not a substitute for proper diet and exercise.
- For a fully-fledged abdominoplasty two incisions are often made. One is from hipbone to hipbone, just above the pubic area while a second one is made to separate the navel from surrounding tissue. This helps the skin from the abdominal wall to be separated up to the ribs to fully reveal the muscles in the abdomen.
- The muscles are then tightened by pulling them close together and sutured into their new position. This provides a firmer abdominal wall and narrows the waistline. Liposuction is done along with this to enhance the contours of the abdomen.The duration of the procedure varies depending on the extent of work required.
- However, if your surgeon feels that you are a good candidate for a less invasive procedure, a mini-abdominoplasty, liposuction or even a panniculectomy, which is a procedure to reduce hanging skin in the abdominal area could be done.
If you are considering getting a tummy tuck done, we would recommend that you visit us for a personal consultation with your surgeon. This would give you an opportunity to discuss your aims and outcomes that you hope to achieve. The surgeon will explain the best options available, his/her recommendations and help you understand better the long-term benefits of this procedure.
Every patient’s need and expectation is different. Your surgeon will tell which surgical technique would be most appropriate for your needs and explain the treatment plan in detail. During this initial consultation you are expected to:
- Provide a detailed medical history including any previous surgical procedures; past and present medical conditions and a list of all medications or herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
- Have a complete examination of your face, including the skin and underlying bone.
- Discuss possible risks and complications of the procedure(s).
- Get an X-ray done possibly to determine the right procedure.
Following your initial consultation and decisions about the procedure(s) to be carried out, our surgical team will update you on pre-operative information, which tells you everything you should do and know before the procedure. Ideally, you may want to make arrangements for someone to help you for a day or two while you heal.
We will ensure that you remain comfortable throughout the entire procedure. Usually we use general anesthesia enabling you to sleep throughout the procedure.
Following your surgeon’s instructions to the letter during the recovery process is very important. This will not only promote the healing process but will also help you adapt to your new physical appearance. Do attend all follow-up appointments so that your surgeon can assess your long-term results and answer any concerns or queries.